Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Recent addition

Hello out there! I said I was away because I've been buying house things, and indeed I have:

My new settee

I just ordered this. That's it in the showroom, not my house, but seeing as how it won't arrive for a fortnight, that's the best photo I have so far. I'm pretty thrilled - it was half the price of anything similar I've seen anywhere, and I've been looking longer than we've even had the house. I'd like to upholster it in a smoky purple velvet, so if anyone knows a good upholsterer in Perth who doesn't charge the earth, let me know!

The house itself is coming along well. We're painting this weekend, and then I'm going to go to IKEA and get my new wardrobe. Finally! I've been waiting so long, I could weep that it's finally happening. In fact, whenever I get a bit despondent about how various house things are taking longer/costing more than I thought they would, I sketch the wardrobe again. YEP. I've never, ever had a wardrobe that wasn't a catastrophe in space usage, so I'm salivating over the prospect of finally, FINALLY having one. I present a short recap of the wardrobes of my life.

Ages 0-11: A melanine kiddie affair with pink highlights. One hanging rod. Two wide drawers. I don't have the mental acuity to put things away, so once mum stops doing it for me, everything ends up on the floor.
12-20: Built in! One rod, one shelf that I never grew tall enough to reach. Most clothes lived on the floor due to shelf inaccesibility.
1st house post-marriage: Enormous footprint - when combined with bed, bedroom is almost completely full. Smelt like cigarettes. Drawers and rod, but basically unusable due to unconquerable smell. Clothes again spend most of their time in what little floorspace there is.
2nd house: Built in. Three times the size of that in my teenage years but configuration almost identical. Guess the outcome.
3rd house: Stupidly huge - the entire length of enormous bedroom wall. I hide in here for an hour with a magazine the day we move and nobody notices/misses me. Comes with, again, a single rod and a high shelf. We 'invest' in some nasty plastic drawers from Red Dot or similar. Clothes are humiliated but at least not on floor.
4th house: Built in. Good size and configuration, with both rod and a number of easily accessible shelves - but space is much, much larger than the doors and so a large percentage is entirely inaccessible. Clothes are cramped and poorly organized.

Which brings me to the planned new wardrobe. I will not rest until I have a place for everything, and everything in its place. And that's where the Pax/Komplement systems at IKEA come into play. I'll have more to say about this in a few weeks, so watch this space. Until then!

-Hayley xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment