Friday, April 30, 2010

More wardrobe investing

I read an article that said that "investing" in your wardrobe is a load of rubbish, because clothes don't appreciate in value. (Except Birkins.) But that's rubbish, because if it enriches you then it's already an investment in your happiness. So with that in mind, here are some things I've bought.

So after my "I don't know what to put on my bottom half if it's not jeans" post, I went on a mission to find some other stuff to wear. I decided on one pair of pants and one skirt for starters. Yesterday, I found my pants.

David Lawrence wide leg pants

They're from David Lawrence, which is fast becoming my go-to place for pants. My last three pairs of jeans have been from there too. They fit really, really well. (However, they're usually about 3cm too long in the leg. If you're reading this, David Lawrence designers, could you do me a solid and make a Slightly Shorter size? I'm tired of hemming pants.) The wide leg on these is very figure-flattering. They make me feel quite feminine because they're sort of masculine - they're my Katherine Hepburn pants. The fabric is a swishy herringbone pattern:

Herringbone

They came with a belt. Usually I find free belts with pants to be sort of lame, but this one I like quite a bit. I wore these to work today and they were quite widely admired. Win! (By the way, the way I arranged them in the photo makes it look like I have one leg shorter than the other. There is no basis to this rumour.)

My skirt purchase was, frankly, happenstance. I went in to Claremont this afternoon to pick up some shampoo from Mecca, and thought I would duck in to Laura Ashley to ogle their chandeliers while I waited for Ant to meet me. And wouldn't you know it, but just inside the door they had a rack of velvet skirts. Anyone who has been talking to me in the last fortnight knows that velvet skirts have been on my mind, um, a lot. I've tried on quite a few and the cut has been all wrong every time. But this one is different! It's a faux wrap, finishes just above knee, and is g-o-r-g-e-o-u-s.

Laura Ashley velvet skirt

Velvet doesn't photograph well at all, because it sucks up all the light, so you'll have to take my word for it on the cut. It's luverly. And when I went to pay for it, the sales assistant threw in a cute spotty scarf for free! It's been a really stressful week so that was a nice surprise, and a great start to the weekend.

*****

I was telling Anthony today that since we started the blog, I feel like I'm making smarter purchases. I don't know if it's a coincidence, or perhaps that I've putting more thought into what I really need, or that I'm just ashamed to share bad shopping decisions with you, but I feel like my wardrobe is really filling out well. I don't know what my next purchase will be, but I'm sure it will be something I'm really pleased with. Until then!

-Hayley xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment